My blog is devoted to sharing personal development tools, techniques and tips that will inspire you to create a growth mindset, build resilience and manage your world more effectively.
Everyones morning habits are different and there certainly isn’t a set recipe for success, I suggest taking a pick-and-mix approach whilst going through the journey of refining your morning habits, keep what works and remove what doesn’t.
One of the reasons why having a morning routine will help drive success is simply because it requires your brain to make fewer decisions. It knows what to expect and each morning it becomes easier, less challenging and, depending on what habits you choose to include, it also has a hugely positive impact on your mental and physical well-being.
It increases my stress levels and I can almost guarantee that I’ll have “one of those days” following a disorganised start to the day. This is why I even complete the routine on weekends, because a habit remains a habit by being habitual and to be honest, I much prefer the way my day flows when I choose to start my day with my routine.
I strongly believe that your morning routine doesn’t always start in the morning, in fact, it starts the night before. One task that I include, which I genuinely believe makes a huge difference, is to pick out and prepare my outfit for the day the night before. I appreciate some people like to dress for how they feel, but for me, having to decide what to wear in the morning causes a silly amount of stress for a simple decision, especially if it requires ironing….a task that I do not enjoy! Preparing that outfit makes such a difference for me.
– 10 minutes of meditation – I use the Headspace app and find it helps create a resourceful state of mind to get the day going and leaves me feeling altogether more relaxed.
– My gratitude list – I list the top 3 things I am grateful for that morning
– Drink a pint of water within an hour of waking up – without water your brain and body cannot fully function and I feel the impact of dehydration in my thinking (or lack of)
– 5 minutes of stretching/yoga – helps activates my body for the day
– Choose a healthy breakfast
– Keep my phone on airplane mode – I always sleep with my phone on airplane mode and choose to leave it on until I’m showered and dressed, otherwise the world of emails, messages and social media captures my attention and before I know it, I’ve lost half an hour!